To treat a cavity, the dentist removes the decayed piece of the tooth and then “fills” the region on the tooth from where the decayed material was removed.
Different types of dental fillings are also used to restore teeth that have been worn down due to misuse, such as those that have been cracked or shattered from nail-biting or tooth grinding.
SmileOracles is one of the best dental clinics in Delhi NCR opted for dental fillings. Its specialized team of dental specialists, advanced technology, comprehensive care, and restorative services make it a proud and distinguished dental clinic in Delhi NCR.
What is Dental Filling?
A Dental Filling or restoration is a treatment that involves the use of a variety of materials in various combinations to restore a tooth’s functional integrity. Dental fillings are used to seal a tooth’s decaying area. It’s also used to repair fractured or broken teeth and teeth that have been depleted or weakened. The filling prevents further decay by sealing the area of the tooth where bacteria can enter.
The different types of dental fillings are
- Amalgam fillings: Amalgam Fillings are a type of amalgam that is used to fill cavities. Amalgam restorations are silver in colour because they are produced with mercury and silver. Because of its strength and endurance, this type of tooth filling has been used since the beginning of dentistry and helps in chewing. It has a long lifespan of 15 to 20 years and is also very cost-effective. Amalgam fillings are commonly used on the posterior or back teeth.
- Gold Filling: Almost all teeth in the oral cavity can benefit from gold fillings. This is the most durable form of dental filling currently available. The fact that gold fillings are manufactured in a lab distinguishes them from other forms of dental fillings. The dentist does this by taking an imprint of the cavity, which he then sends to the lab technician to be filled. After the filling has been produced, dental cement is used to secure it to the teeth. They can last up to 15 years. Fillings made of gold do not corrode. They are quite expensive than amalgam fillings and can sustain the forces of chewing without breaking.
- Composite Filling: Composite fillings are not the most durable dental fillings, but they are tough enough to be utilised in front teeth. They are constructed of quartz or silica particles mixed with resin and have a hue that closely resembles that of the teeth. Following the preparation of the cavity, a composite filling is placed and cured with an LED light. The restoration’s colour or shade of the teeth can be carefully matched to the original teeth. These fillings adhere mechanically to the tooth structure, giving excellent support. Composite fillings can be used to restore teeth that have become worn or damaged. They are more prone to deterioration than amalgam or gold restorations. Composite fillings necessitate more time in the chair. Additional visits are required if composites are used for inlays. If you put too much pressure on them, they’ll chip off. They can be more expensive than amalgam fillings.
- Glass ionomer cement: These fillings are manufactured from a mixture of fluoroaluminosilicate glass and acrylic and are chemically linked to the teeth. However, they aren’t very long-lasting, only lasting about 5 years on average. One of the most known advantages of Glass ionomer cement is that they are the same colour as the teeth. They release fluoride regularly, which helps to strengthen the teeth.
- Ceramic Filling: Ceramic fillings, like gold fillings, are costly. They don’t have the same strength as gold or amalgam, but their colour can be customised to match the tooth they’re placed on. When compared to glass ionomer cement fillings, this form of dental filling lasts longer. Ceramic fillings can be precisely made to match the natural colour of the teeth. Ceramic fillings help to reduce the risk of secondary caries. Ceramic fillings are nearly identical in colour to natural teeth.
What are the Advantages of Dental fillings?
Dental fillings are also one of the most cost-effective medical procedures. Cavities cause holes in your teeth, which are filled with different types of materials. Fillings serve to prevent additional decay of teeth that have previously been damaged by tooth decay. Any pain or discomfort caused by a cavity can go away once the tooth is treated. Some of the common advantages of dental fillings are:
- It prevents decay by mending a broken tooth and restoring its natural function and look.
- Fillings are used to repair minor areas of degradation and provide a barrier against hazardous germs, preventing further deterioration.
- Fillings also have the advantage of preserving the majority of the tooth structure while replacing the damaged section.
- Dental fillings are used to restore teeth that have become damaged or discoloured. The foods you eat and drink, such as coffee and red wine, can discolour your teeth.
How to choose the right dental filling?
If you need a filling, you and your dentist can opt for the right dental filling. Right dental fillings with options that include filling materials, type of tooth, location of the cavity, the severity of damaged tooth, budget cost, and insurance cover are some of the important factors which might play a significant role in choosing the right dental fillings.
To choose from a variety of options the list to look for opting for the right dental fillings are:
- Fillings that appear like the original tooth: Dentists can opt for the filling which can be accurately matched to the colour of your teeth.
- Fillings that release fluoride: Dentists should be cautious to choose the dental filling which can easily colour blend in your original teeth and release small amounts of fluoride which can help prevent decay of teeth.
- Affordable and long-lasting fillings: One should always opt for fillings that are long-lasting and relatively cost-effective in nature.
Despite significant advances in dental health and care, tooth decay continues to be an issue for many children and adults. Tooth decay, if not treated properly and promptly, can lead to more significant oral health problems, such as infected teeth and failing teeth. Dental tooth fillings are one of the most common procedures to prevent and repair teeth damage. It can be done with a variety of materials like glass ionomers, composite, gold-silver amalgam, ceramic, etc. Although any of these materials can be used to fill cavities in teeth, particular fillings are better suited for specific situations. Your dentist is the best person to assist you in determining the appropriate material for your needs, taking into account your budget and present dental health.
One can look forward to visiting SmileOracles, a multi-specialist Dental Clinic in Delhi-NCR for the treatment of dental fillings. Modern dental treatment offers to patients by Smileoracles, ensures attention to every detail required in the fields of medicine and dentistry. Our goal is to give you the best dental care possible while keeping you at ease and comfortable.
SmileOracles is a multi-specialty dental hospital in Delhi staffed by very skilled and knowledgeable dentists in several dental specialties. In order to provide superior service and individualized dental care in Delhi, our team consists of the greatest endodontists, orthodontists, periodontists, prosthodontists, implantologists, and pediatric dentists in Delhi.
With a commitment to comprehensive care and personalized treatment plans, we ensure to provide top-notch dental care. We are Delhi’s top dental clinic because of our cutting-edge, modern facilities and qualified personnel. We are specialized in offering painless, non-invasive dental care and making every possible effort to keep your smile long-lasting.