What is a smile makeover?
A smile says a lot about a person. However, teeth problems like teeth discolouration, missing teeth, chipped teeth, misaligned teeth and misshapen teeth may affect your smile. Modern dentistry has provided some of the treatment options that offer you a good smile makeover. It makes you more confident to smile without hiding your teeth. In short, a smile makeover is all about investing in your beautiful smile.
Who could need a smile makeover?
Many of us crave for a good smile, especially in cases where our teeth don’t look good while we smile and make us feel embarrassed. Cases where a smile makeover could help show your beautiful smile are listed below:
- Discoloured teeth which may result due to improper dental hygiene making your teeth look filthy in appearance even after cleaning it.
- Chipped or cracked teeth.
- Gummy smile also known as excessive gingival display is a condition where too much gum tissue is visible when you smile.It is usually due to small teeth.
- Difficult chewing food due to altered teeth, jaw bone and other changes in mouth.
- Gaps and spaces between the teeth.
What are the procedures involved in a smile makeover?
Smile makeover is a procedure of improving the smile of the person through one or more cosmetic surgery procedures. During the procedure various factors are taken into consideration at dental clinic in greater kailash which include skin tone, gum tissue, lips, facial appearance, hair, color, and length width, shape of the tooth. Some of the top methods that are involved in a smile makeover are:
- Teeth Whitening: It is one of the best and rapid approaches for building up the brilliance of your lost smile. It helps in treating the stains caused due to consumption of wine, tea, coffee, etc. Tooth whitening gel is applied to the tooth, and activated with a laser to lighten the stains.
- Porcelain veneer: Teeth which are worn off, chipped off or with spaces between them can be easily corrected by porcelain veneers. Here thin, tooth hued shells are attached to the front part of the teeth. Porcelain veneers provide a natural appearance to the teeth and are resistant to the stains.
- White composite tooth filling: As a part of your smile makeover, silver amalgam fillings can be replaced by tooth-colored composite fillings. The composite tooth restorations are tooth-colored, giving a uniform and improved look to the smile, as well as long-lasting.
- Clear aligners: People who have misaligned teeth can undergo this smile makeover procedure. The procedure aims to correct the teeth with the help of orthodontic treatment . This includes use of clear aligners which are one of the best smile makeover devices. These are made of thermoplastic material that fit very easily on your teeth. You can also easily remove those aligners whenever you need to brush, floss and eat.
- Dental Crowns: These are used when a tooth is broken, severely damaged due to tooth infection, or after a root canal treatment. It not only gives an esthetic appearance to the tooth but also mimics the natural tooth in terms of function.
- Dental implants: Prosthetic dental implants made from titanium, porcelain are fixed into the jaw bone and interfaced with bone of the skull and jaw to provide support for a dental prosthesis. The procedure is extensively used to correct misaligned teeth or missing teeth. It is one of the most important and commonly used procedures for smile makeover.
How much time and visits does a smile makeover take?
The time taken in a smile makeover is determined by the number of procedures involved. Teeth whitening takes hardly an hour in the dentist office. Porcelain veneers need about two to three visits. In between each visit, the lab will take time to make the veneers. Like this, different procedures require different time and visits. It is advised to take a prior consultation where your doctor can diagnose all the issues and create a treatment plan. By doing this, you can exactly know the time taken for the entire procedure before starting the treatment.
Is the smile makeover treatment painful?
The whole procedure of smile makeover is not very painful. As per most of the patients, it usually takes two weeks for you to feel the normal bite, chewing as well as speaking normally. Any sensitivity that occurs is temporary. Any other pain or discomfort usually subside in a few weeks’ time.
How much does a smile makeover cost?
An approximate cost of smile makeover procedure at the best dental clinic in greater kailash lies between INR 6000 to INR 75000. The cost and duration of your smile makeover procedure varies, based on your dentist, your location, type of clinic/hospital, insurance coverage, oral health and the procedures involved in the makeover plan.
To sustain the smile makeover procedure for a long time, and maintain an ever-lasting smile you must take good care of your teeth and visit your dentist for regular checkups.
What are the precautions that should be taken after a smile makeover?
Here are a few precautions that you must take for long-lasting of your smile makeover procedures:
- Never use abrasive toothpaste and toothbrush that can easily scratch the restoration surfaces and damage the lustre. It is often recommended to use a non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Flossing helps in removal of debris and plaque, enhancing the lifespan of the restoration. It also assists in the prevention of tooth decay.
- Avoid foods that have high sugar and reduce your snacking between the meals to prevent dental caries.
- Decrease the consumption of coffee, tea, soda etc. to keep your teeth free from stain.
- Avoid biting or chewing any hard objects.
Maintaining good dental hygiene and following all the instructions given by your dentist is extremely important to sustain the results of smile makeover procedures. Do not forget to keep up the followup appointments as advised by the team.